THE IMPORTANCE OF EFFECTIVE BILLBOARD DESIGN
Digital billboards are unique. Sure, they’re billboards but they play ten ads in the same loop. They reach an on the move audience – drivers, pedestrians, and commuters. They also come in all shapes and sizes. So, to be truly impactful, all these factors must be considered when designing creative for outdoor digital billboards.
Some key questions to ask yourself are:
- What’s the most important image for this billboard?
- Does this artwork clearly show what you do as a company?
- Is your call to action clear?
- Do we clearly drive consumer interaction here?
Below are five billboard design tips for getting the most out of your campaign. This list is far from exhaustive so don’t hesitate to reach out to discuss your next effective billboard design or download our billboard advertising design ideas here. As an outdoor advertising specialist, with years of industry experience and expertise, in the outdoor advertising market, we are well versed in the steps that go into creating a successful billboard advertisement – so let’s dive right in!
Our Top 5 Billboard Design Tips
1. DON’T BEAT AROUND THE BUSH: While you’re not surrounded by content and other ads like in the online world, you are still trying to reach a distracted audience. The goal is to get your message across in as little as a single glance.
2. KISS (KEEP IT SIMPLE SILLY): Simplicity is the key to good billboard design.
3. IMAGE IS EVERYTHING: The cliché, “A picture is worth a thousand words,” is a cliché for a reason, it’s true. Images make instant emotional connections. When less is more, have your image say what you can’t fit on the digital billboard.
4. USE SEVEN WORDS OR LESS: Making it contextually relevant creates an effective billboard design. Less is more. Be concise and your campaign will stick. Be witty and it will be even stickier.
5. USE BOLD SANS SERIF FONTS: Maximise size and contrast. CLEAR AND BIG font is the easiest to view from the road and from a distance. If a passer-by or driver can’t comprehend your message in a few seconds, then the opportunity is lost.
Digital billboards give you fantastic flexibility so take advantage of it! Consumers are inundated with advertising throughout their days so an effective way to reach a consumer is through relevant and timely advertisements. Change your digital advertisements to reflect current advertising messages. With no production or installation, digital advertising gives you freedom like never before. Change your message weekly, daily, or even hourly. Design a digital billboard creative strategy that will keep viewers coming back for more.
With an effective digital billboard design, you can be assured that your ad campaign will be a success. Get in touch with one of our billboard design experts to discuss your outdoor digital billboard campaign.