How effective is billboard advertising?
Okay so picture this: You are cruising down the Nepean Highway on your way home from a long day at the office listening to some cheesy 80’s music and thinking about the load of washing you need to do when you get there. And then all of a sudden you see a billboard ahead featuring a mouth-watering image of fried chicken and you think am I hungry? I could be hungry? Who cares I am hungry now! Next stop crispy fried chicken and instant happiness. And there you have it the magnetic power of billboard advertising!
Sure, it is a pretty simplistic summary (we assure you there is a lot of science, data and psychological metrics that backs it up) but the powerful combination of location, relevancy, attention grabbing creative and the purity of billboard advertising by its very nature is undeniable.
And although out of home advertising on toll roads and major freeways took a dip in 2020 with lockdowns and restrictions decreasing traffic counts, billboards targeting local communities thrived as brands realised the power of communicating with their audiences as they moved through their communities – dropping the kids at school, going to the supermarket, picnicking in the park, walking the dog or exercising. Being ‘out’ is definitely ‘in’ as we move into 2021 and as such there has never been a more effective to jump into outdoor advertising.
The Topline Stats:
- 78% of Australians notice Outdoor Advertising each month.
- Drivers spend 7.5hrs in the car making on average 10 trips weekly.
- 88% say brands on billboards stand out.
- On shopping trips, 76% of drivers are relaxed and open to finding out about new products and services.
- 72% of Australians travel on roads to and from work.
- 67% of Australians have seen billboards in the past week
- 46% of people believe Billboards bring new products to their attention.
Source: https://www.oma.org.au | MOVE data 2013, Ppl 14yrs+ | Nielsen CMV Survey 1, 2013